Friday 27 September 2019

Back to Spurn 2nd - 4th September

I've recently gone through all my old birding notebooks, I have a lot, dating back to the early 1970's with just a few gaps over the subsequent 40 odd years! One thing that's very apparent over that period is how many good birds I have seen at Spurn. In the last couple of decades I've only visited once or twice a year but it still provides a large slice of the more interesting birds I see in the UK in a typical year. 
Anyway I had a few days there in early September and even in less than ideal weather conditions I saw a decent range of species.
A White-rumped Sandpiper had been present for several days when I arrived and since there was a good range of other species at Kilnsea Wetlands where it spent most of it's time this seemed like a good starting point. 
White-rumped Sandpiper
Fortunately, it was still present but remained distant most of the time. There was a good selection of other waders with Curlew and Wood Sandpipers, Black-tailed Godwits and Spotted Redshank. 

The Dotterel which spent most of its time on the humber made a brief appearance that evening but I got reasonable scope views the following morning in front of the Crown & Anchor.
Dotterel - juvenile
The following morning I came across it with a large flighty group of about 800 Dunlin on the beach by Easington Lagoons.
Dotterel in flight
I was lucky to come across a juvenile Water Rail on the Canal which came far enough in to the open for me to get a photo.
Water Rail - juvenile
With 75 species on Monday and 85 the following day I was very pleased with the trip despite the lack of migrants.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment