Monday 12 October 2020

A few days in Bucharest 29th - 31st January

Incomplete - photos to be added
I'd read several reports of birders visiting Bucharest and was particularly attracted to the reports of Caspian Gulls and woodpeckers, both of which appeared relatively easy to see in the right conditions. For the gulls the' right conditions' were frozen lakes in Herastrau Park, which apparently occurs in most years but unfortunately not this one!
We stayed in the Bucharest Mercure which was about 3km from the park which I did walk several times but we also used Uber which was so easy and cost effective (about £2.50 for a one way trip).
Our first morning in the park was raining but we still managed several Syrian and Middle Spotted plus 2 Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers. 
The trees also held Nuthatch, lots of Tree Sparrows and several Hawfinch. There were a couple of feeders in the park which were a magnet for the Tree Sparrows and the numerous feral pigeons.
As mentioned the lakes were completely ice free and I counted at least 9 Pygmy Cormorant, which I'd probably not have seen if they had been frozen but unfortunately the gulls all appeared to be Yellow-legged. The following day I took some bread with me and managed to attract some of the birds a little closer and all of which proved to be Yellow-legged Gulls.
Walking back to the hotel I called in a Kiseleff Park which also had Syrian, Middle Spotted and Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers.
In the afternoon I visited Cismigiu Park which was closer to the hotel, it is smaller than Herastrau and the pond in the centre had been drained but I still managed a couple of Syrian Woodpeckers and several Hooded Crow.


No comments:

Post a Comment